Being the oldest guy in this class at age 49 (1997), and could do no more than put a diskette in the tower, create and name a document, save it and eject it so in the hand had an actual diskette with some information on it. That’s it. I could type, having learned that in high school…..about 35 words a minute with multiple mistakes…….typing is still the same speed except the method of correcting mistakes is done as the typing occurs…..at about 25-20 words a minute with no mistakes. Left this five month course at Burnaby College having made a nice colorful…angled design of a pool table with a cue lined up to shoot a ball. It had two palm trees in the back ground. Called it “The Next Shot”. In the opinion of the other students…..they called it beautiful. And, thought it was quite good too, considered it my major artistic accomplishment of the course.
Received a passing grade of 82 for the course, plus offered a critique of the course to the Instructor indicating the course should have included the dismantling of the computer tower and installation of all the various hardware parts……in other words take a computer apart and put it back together again. He agreed and plans for the next set of students were set up to do it over two weekends. The other suggestion was that the course should be extended another three months with specific instruction on more web design, web code and actual e-commerce coding so a person could confidently, proficiently set up their own online business……and know full well how to do it for others. He agreed here too…….taking the concept to the owner, a new course was created and implemented the following year to do just that……it was nine months and focused entirely on the web design and the online features a website needed, probably a year long course now.
What did we learn at Graphic Design and Typography? The history of the design and uses of fonts. How to design a page so that white space and design features were attractive and directed the eye to the important features you were presenting to the reader.
How to make colour for an artistic object. How to create an object at the pixel level and correct it at the pixel level. How to make layers of an object….or objects, group them and lock them in place. How to make squares, circles, rings, rectangles, other geometric shapes, any kind of shape, shadow and all kinds of lines and frames, and artistic compositions – which is another skill in its own right. How to make 3-D dimensional diagrams. How to make a Newspaper ‘page’ with all its significant fonts and columns. How to make a Magazine such that the reader would be directed by their own eye to easily find the next appropriate thing to read and do so comfortably. How to do Financial Reports for companies, with footnotes and references. How to Design Newsletters with columns and adding pictures/photos, etcetera. How to format coloured tables like the government and input information in the tables using various software…Wordperfect, Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Word. We had what was expressed as “Entry Level” learning for 9 Software Programs: Word Perfect, Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Word, Macromedia Freehand, Macromedia Flash, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, QuarkXpress, and Netscape for Web Design.
Some Accomplishments in Design……
- Astrological Chart – making a single chart or a combination of all of the following charts: Pre-Conception Charts, Natal Charts, Secondary Progressions, Astro-Cartographic-Locational Charts.
- Numerological Chart Combining: Nicknames, Birth Names, Name Changes, Personality Numbers, Soul Numbers, Destiny Numbers, Challenge Numbers, Cyclic Numbers, Life Path Numbers.
- Sant Mat (Path of the Perfect Saints) Cosmological Chart, a 4 ft. sq. chart of Sant Mat Cosmology.
- Medical Charts: St. John’s Ambulance Medical Study Charts (2). These charts were used by St. John’s Ambulance as Medical Instructional Aids for 20 years until 2004 and were provided free on the provision they dress them up a bit.
- Sports Centres Anatomical Muscular Charts – idea then later taken up by a lady who had them professionally done and sold to sports centres throughout BC.
- Body Alignment Charts and Pages….several and many charts.
- Musical Theory Charts: One chart with Basic Musical Theory and another with Advanced Musical Theory.
- Map Book Covers.
- Numerous Business Cards & Logo’s.
- Business Design of numerous Sales Presentation Manuals.
- Greeting Card Flyers, Greeting Card Rack Ordering Sheets, Delivery Schedule Sheets.
- Sales Invoices. Sales Reports. Inventory Reports. Accounting Reports.
Keynote Presentation…….on the Mac
• Made one Keynote Presentation………for Investors for the Investment in Purchasing a Commercial Property…….65 pages, with music in the background.
• Made another Keynote Presentation on Vegetarianism and posted it on the YouTube.